Friday, October 22, 2010

The dove has flown away...

I like Dove. It took me a while but it grew on me bit by bit and I got used to its presence. Happily comforting.

I, for one believe in change. I realise that it is the only constant.

However, change for the sake of change.Not happening. Change that doesn't serve any purpose. Again not done.

HUL is a global giant. Their systems and processes are aped the world over.

So, why then did the Dove team decide to change the 5th P? Packaging.

Dove had its own unique identity. We recognised a Dove pack in the store by its shape, colour and yes overall packaging. It was a core differentiator.

I am sure there was enough research done before they went ahead cutting off its advantage.

The new Dove pack is not bad. However, it can easily pass off for a Pantene. Or wait even a Head and Shoulders. Has the marketing warfare come down to this? Same packaging? Identical peas in a pod?

Personally, the way they swept the mystery shampoo campaign right under Pantene's nose was brilliant. It was a true reflection of how in today's consumer has no patience with mysteries and surprises. He/she wants to know it asap!

So, why do a me-too now? Why be a follower?

The dove has flown away. It remains to be seen how it could be retrieved.

No comments:

Post a Comment