Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Bug Bytes

The bug has bitten me and how!

I am smitten. I am charmed. I am wooed.

In a continuum to my previous post" The tale of the town crier", my stance on the suave and swish of social media marketing has certainly been strengthened.

Couple of days ago, the old romantic in me was reminiscing about the ads that I grew up with, the jingles that we sang and tap danced to as little kids courtesy All India radio and Doordarshan.



Every time, the smell of jalebi wafts in the air, I am reminded of the adorable Dhara kid. I happened to put this up as my facebook status message and lo! and behold!



Everyone had a story to tell about their favourite commercial - from Vicco to cadburys to Nirma to Pan Parag. 



It was amazing really - nostalgia, reminiscence,memories were few of the catch phrases which got associated with the ads in question. And all it had taken was one message on a social networking site to start the viral effect.



In contrast, if someone were to make a pop-up or a banner, pay monies and put it up on the same site, I have my serious doubts about the no. of clicks it would really generate.

I observed a similar social effect when I had commented on the inclusion of an Indian Chef in Masterchef Australia. Unexpected sources began rapidly sharing their experiences with the show. Individuals who had never heard or watched the show on Star World expressed an interest and even asked details like the timing and airing days etc.





I wonder again if a poster or email or a telemarketing call from the makers of the show could have generated this kind of buzz around it. Top that - for free!

Traditional media is great. It has served us well and will continue to do so. But, technology has given us social media marketing which if used effectively and wisely can create a spiralling viral effect using the best possible modus operandi. That of the human touch. Virtually.




3 comments:

  1. The old ads of the 80's and the 90's are indeed a delight to watch..how can anyone forget that cute kid in the Dhara Ad? Nostalgia :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anonymous:Thanks
    @Payal:How true! You said it!

    ReplyDelete